What to Do After a Collision
Nobody wants to be invovled in a car collision,
but sometimes the unexpected happens and you find your vehicle wedged between two cars, propped up against a tree, or simply behind a rock and a hard place. What should you do? Who do you call? Do you need to call the police? What if the other person won’t provide you with insurance information? If you think these questions make your head spin, just wait until you are involved in a collision and you’ll find your head spinning faster with even more questions!
Even a level-headed person can become disoriented during the aftermath of a car crash, so it is important to plan ahead so you can be prepared if you ever become involved in an accident involving your vehicle.
Take a Look
The following lists things that you should keep in mind after experiencing a car wreck:
- First of all, please stay calm. Try not to become too agitated as it will add to your confusion and can possibly raise your blood pressure.
- If you merely witness the accident and it is possible, pull over out of the way and stop your car. If you are involved in the accident, stop the car and wait for the authorities to arrive.
- Call the police and request an officer to come take a report.
- If needed, call 911 and request an ambulance.
- Wait until the police and/or ambulance arrives. Continue to remain calm. Try to keep everyone else calm as well.
- Make your statement to the police. Answer any questions they have honestly, but avoid making statements in which you take the blame for the collision. If you believe that there are witnesses to the accident, you should inform the police about them.
- Take photos of the accident, including your vehicle, any other vehicles that are involved, wreckage from the accident, and anything else that is related to the accident.
- Ask for a copy of the police report. You may not be able to get one until a later date, so be sure that you get the officer’s name and any identifying numbers for the report.
- Call your insurance company.
- Call ROBINS BODY AND PAINT SHOP and set up an appointment to have all of your auto body needs taken care of along with any collision repairs that you need.